Thursday, January 19, 2012

Interview with The Duke of Zhou

I traveled back in time to talk to the second emperor of The Zhou Dynasty, The Duke of Zhou, around the time when his brother ( Emperor Wu Wang) had just died. There were a lot of questions if the Duke would give up the throne when his brother’s son was old enough to take over. I was only able to talk to him for a few minutes (time machine malfunction). Though at first I forgot to my English to Chinese translator on at first, so I’m pretty sure the first thing he called me was a moron.
Tommy: Honorable emperor it is such an honor to meet you.
Duke of Zhou: Thanks, so you are from the future. Well what do you want to know about me?
Tommy: After your brother died did you instantly feel like everyone was putting the pressure on you to run the kingdom?
Duke of Zhou: Yes. At first I thought everyone was just waiting for me to be killed so my brother’s son could take over as emperor. It made me feel like I was just the bridge between the two of them, so at first I was mopping around the palace but I ultimately got over it.
Tommy: Did you ever think about not letting your nephew take over when he was ready for such a responsibility?
Duke of Zhou: At first I did, I was thinking about how he was just a little kid and that he could never run an empire. But in time I realized that he had time mature before he was emperor. So, I will relinquish the crown to too him willingly.
Tommy:  So you were a believer in Confucianism, what did you like about Confucianism rather than some other belief systems?
Duke of Zhou: I love Confucianism, I loved being able to live easily as a kid so Confucianism. Also the people love that I do not force them to produce a certain amount of stuff, so I would hate to have to switch to something else. That would be unfair to everyone, including me.
Tommy: So would you say legalism is an unfair and evil way to rule a nation? Why?
Duke of Zhou: Certainly I think it is an evil way to rule an empire. Who wants to get bossed around all the time by a self proclaimed leader who thinks he is better than everyone. I know I have some rights that not everyone has, but I do not go around bragging about them. Also I have always said to stand up for yourself, so I frown upon a leader who forces he subjects to admit that their not as good as him.
Tommy: One last question, how do you think you will be remembered?
Duke of Zhou: I hoped I am remembered as an excellent ruler, and an even better Uncle. All leaders are remembered, some more than others. I want to be remembered as a ruler who was completely fair to all the people of his empire, and a model for rulers to come. I also want people to remember how much I loved my family. I gave my nephew the job of emperor, a job I could have easily kept for myself. So ultimately I hoped I will be remembered as a good guy.

1 comment:

  1. Great questions and responses! Please do a thorough job of editing.

    ReplyDelete